Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Something Different--Mosaic



I'm not sure you would call this mixed media but it's something I've been wanting to try for a long time. I had quite a lot of trouble deciding on a support but ended up with a gesso/acrylic surface on foam core. It wasn't the best decision as it bows but the alternative was much much heavier. In the spirit of experimentation, it works for now. I marked my surface with a design previously used for stained glass and the photo only shows half of the "canvas". As I place more and more of the "tiles" I will post the other half.

The tiles are not really tiles but plastic pieces. More about those later. I am playing this by ear, but after completing the design, my thoughts are to varnish the surface, maybe use some antiquing solution to give some depth and apply a final layer of varnish.

No comments: