Monday, October 13, 2008

Experimenting with Wax Based Media



The last couple of days have been devoted to experimenting with things other than color pencil. I have read about Jeffrey Robert and Don Marco who are CRAYON artists. That's pretty amazing to me, the kind of work they create with the lowly crayon! So, I decided to try it for myself. Trying something like that gives you a new respect for the artist and the medium. This magnolia started out in crayon but just didn't have enough pigment for the black background and too much wax! So, before chucking the whole thing, I pulled out the oil pastels, which to me have the same kind of consistency as the crayon, but decidedly more color pigmentation. After trying to layer and blend a bit, I couldn't get any more pastel to adhere.

Since I was working with heat yesterday, I decided to try some heat on this project. I heated up the "drawing pad" and tried adding some pastel to the drawing, without success. Remembering that I used crayons in the past to create drawings on fabric, layering by heating with the iron, I pulled out the iron, heated it up, laid a thick paper towel between the paper and the iron and moved the iron across the drawing several times.

The resulting drawing is what you see here; the heat didn't "melt" the color enough to fill in the specks left in the paper. I might try this another time using a paper with less texture. The crayon/pastel also built up on the paper making it seem heavy and a little like it might crack!

No comments: