Sunday, August 30, 2009

And Even More...

I'm still working on the woodpecker, but in my defense, I was gone for 3 days! I have now decided for sure that I will not be using this paper again for colored pencil! Also, I put the Pablos away and went for the Prismas! So, at this point, I am REALLY working to get more color down. It's slow going but I'm still enjoying it. I'm also thinking of what my next project will be and also working on another that needs to be finished for a show. Thank goodness no one cares if my house work is done!!!!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More Woodpecker

Not much progress, I'm afraid. Still adding some layers on the bird now. Improved the angle of the feeder so that it shows the effect of his weight (leaning to the left). Still a ways to go on the feeder. This paper is not going to take much pencil so I'm thinking I'll be using solvent for more coverage.

I'm registered for a color pencil workshop for the next three days so I won't have time to work on this until the weekend!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Woodpecker Update

A little more time on my woodpecker baby and this is what he looks like. I've decided changing paper AND pencils was not the thing to do. I love the smoothness of the paper but it just won't take as many layers as I'm used to. I also switched back to Prismas hoping a sharp point would help me get more layers on. Not working too well:( So, once again I find myself experimenting to get what I want--using a small amount of alcohol as a solvent; also not working, maybe because the Pablos aren't waxy? I don't know. I'm be adding more color, as much as I can, and another layer of solvent. I'm beginning to like it, so if this one doesn't work out, I'll try again on familiar paper. Tuesday note: I see I have a wrong angle on the feeder that I will correct for next time!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Spring Visitor

Lance is on hold until I get where I can find some colored pencils I ran out of! In the meantime--I spied this woodpecker baby at one of my small feeders in the Spring. I grabbed my camera and got this shot of him hanging on by his toes (well, his woodpecker toes!) This crop would have gone pretty fast except I'm trying some new pencils (Pablo) and new paper (Fabriano hot pressed watercolor paper). The pencils are harder than the Prismas so I have to watch the pressure or I'll get hard lines. The paper seems to be very easy to work on, it has a smooth texture and the pencil picks up easily--in my case, a big plus!

It has taken me two days to get this far--the Prismas would have been faster--but will reserve judgment until finished!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

More Lance

This is almost finished. I'm trying to decide about the background. After working on this 600 grit I've decided I like it. I'll have to try the 800 first, though, to know which one is best for me.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Watercolor Workshop

I can't believe it's been two weeks since taking the watercolor workshop I mentioned! This weekend I worked a bit on the piece I started there and this is what I got. It's not much, but it's bright!! And I learned so much about how to handle watercolor, which, I guess, is why I had so much trouble with it in the past. So, it's nice to know that if I try a new piece, I know how to start and what to expect. I did actually start a floral but it's not holding my interest and I'm not sure I'll continue. Maybe I'll find a new subject and start again!

Saturday, August 8, 2009


This week's drawing is more in the portrait category. Being a former Austinite, I am a big fan of Lance Armstrong. At the same time, I have some new samples of UART sanded paper that I've been wanting to try. I actually started this on the wrong piece of paper as I was going to use the 800 grit; this is 600. But, I'm glad I made the error because now I can see what the 600 will do and seemingly, the 800 will do it even better, being a finer grit. I'm going to finish this and hopefully, do another very quickly on the 800 so I can compare the two. I'm not really fond of the yellow color of the paper.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Quiet Afternoon on the Lake Updated

After looking at this a few days, I decided a little more work was needed. I added some color to the backside of the mylar to deepen some of the areas and smooth out others. I also have been scanning with different color paper underneath and have decided that the final looks best on white. (Mylar is a transparent ground and will pick up the color of the paper it is mounted on). It's on it's way to the framing table!